Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Leaving on a Jet Plane...Eventually

This has to be the fastest letter of my life. First P day in the field is a little cra cra so ill do my best to get as much detail in there as i can.
 
I, Sister Gonzales, have successfully accomplished the number one thing they tell every missionary NOT to do in In field orientation: Miss your flight. Yes! i missed my flight to California! We had a lay over and two of us were talking to family and friends  (yes i was talking to mike) and the other two were sharing the gospal. There were on ly four of us in our travel group. three sisters and our travel leader Elder Endicott from Lindon Utah, also going to Trujillo Peru.
well, Long story short, we show up to our gate and they gave up our seats already so we were put on the next flight. The next flight, abuot three hours later had two extra spots! So Elder Endicott adn I Let the other two take the spots. We were in the Las Vegas air port for 21 hours!!!! ok first of all, that is a very strange place, especially when all the wierdos come out for some show that was going on..... (no wonder there werent any spots) and second, it was a long day. we were on 4 stand by lists, and every one we didnt fit on the plane. finally, at 9:50 at night, we got on!!!! but then the flight got delayed.... we landed in cali abou t 12:15 am. Elder was dropped off with his comp and i spent the night in the mission home. can you say WORST FIRST IMPRESSION EVER!!!!! die sister gonzales.... DIE! i was so embarrassed. i could barly get my eggs to my mouth as i ate breakaast with the pres and his wife..... so embarrassed.
well,
i had my interview and i showed president that i was excited to be there, dispite my irresponsible actions. and i hope to continue to show him through my hard work.
So far, the mission is great. I LOVE MY COMPS! there are three of us cause im a "visa waiter". thats what they call me. These girls are funny, out going, bubbly, fun loving, and my kind of girls. Sister Vellinga and sister Connelly. babes. this is fun!
First sunday, since it was the 5th sunday of the month, the missionaries were in charge.... so guess who was asked to speak.... THIS GIRL!! for some reason, i wasnt nervous. i know my spanish isnt the best, i know my last name is gonzales and im expected to be fluent, but ..... i still wasnt nervous. and d&c 84:85 will tell you why.
THe spirit was there, i was able to share my testimony and my love for the ward. i was able to show through emotionn and tears and broken spanish that i was there to share my joy and my love for the Lord. and i think they could feel it. us three sisters were also asked to sing!!! DId you know there is a song in the spanish hymnos that is not in the english one? its hymn 88 and it is my new favorite. adn its about missionary work! I LOVE IT! we also got our investigatiors to come! and we recieved a list of less active names and two more new names! SUCCESS!!
also, fun fact, these girls are new to the area as well. we are the only sisters in our area which covers 92 miles! we are whats called "pink washing". Presidetn calls us the SWAT team when elders anrent doing so hot. so we spent this first week mapping, getting to know the area, the ward members, and visitin less actives.
its amazing. it is DANG HARD! there is about one time a day i have to remind myself why im out there. and its after the third house that doesnt answer. its super hot here, its hard. the spanish is hard. but it is coming.
I have seen heart breaking thigs already. just this morning as i was studying outside, i watched a 70 year old man go through the dumpster outside our apt looking for plastic to recycle. i just sat there and stared. "what can i do??? help him dig?" it was then i said a prayer and asked "what do i need to learn from this" and it came to me. right to my heart. HTis is how God feels when his children sin. What can he do? this is how he felt as he watched his son suffer in the garden. i couldnt stand it, i was so overwelmed with saddness for him i had to go inside. i felt so ashamed! WHAT CAN I DO??? and then it hit me agian, God had to go to the corner of the heavens to not watch his son suffer. Christ had to be completely alone.
This week as we entered a less active womans home, as we greeted her with a kiss (custom and culture, kiss on the cheek) i felt tears. my cheek was wet with her tears, i asked "hermana, que paso?" whats wrong? she said she was in so much pain but when she heard that we were the missionaries at her porch she took the five painful minutes to answer the door.
then two more little kids, ran to us and asked "are you our social workers?'
turns out, this lady is watching these kids for a woman who is their foster mom because their real mom choked them.
i see something like this every day since ive been here.
this is hard. but these people need hope, love and peace and i will be the Lords hadns and bring it to them because i know how much he loves. them
 
well my time is up.
i have to go.
i love you all
 hurrah for israil! the church is TRUE!@
 
Love Hermana Gonzales
 
ps CHAZ!!!!!!!! MY HISPANIC BRO!!!! CONGRATS ON THE CALL! YOU'LL BE AMAZING!!!!!!!!! ESPANOL BABY WOOOOOOW!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment